Currently training for a touring event (marathon of biking) in which I will be doing a 15k. It’s been interesting so far. It’s just me, the wind, and nature. I never listen to music when I bike, mostly because then I can’t hear what is around me and I cross some busy intersections. Also I just like the peacefulness about it. Although no ride is the same and I seem to have existential moments as I’m riding so here is what happened with today’s ride:
1. Maybe I shouldn’t have eaten that peach prior to leaving. Granted I did it because it had been sometime since I’d eaten breakfast but now I might throw up. Great. Just hold it in.
2. Every time I come around the corner I look for deer. Is that weird?
3. If I had a nickel for every time a grasshopper jumped at me or a bug hit me in the face…
4. Was this hill always this hard?!?!?!?!
5. Why do so many other bikers still past me when I feel like I’m going so fast?
6. Nothing like breathing hard and biking when you pass down wind a field of manure. Never have I wanted to breathe and not breathe at the same time so badly.
7. I really should learn how to switch gears and also possibly get a new bike.
8. Did I mention I’m riding a 15-year-old crappy sears bike that keep having to adjust the seat on as it keeps turning. Did I mention it’s pissing me off?!
9. AND now I’ve been whistled at by a stranger from the dark cresses of his white pickup truck…. lovely.
10. Water bottle is covered in dirt. I would wipe it off with my clothes but I’m covered in bug spray. Last time I did that my lips when alarmingly numb. Hmmm what to do? I guess I’m eating dirt. I hope I don’t end up on one of those weird medical shows…
11. Up the hill. Down the hill. Up the hill. Down the hill. Why are there so many hills?
12. I am sooo hungry.
13. Yeah train! I wonder what time this train runs, maybe I can take it sometime? I wonder what it’s like to sit in the upper part? I bet it’s really cool.
14. Was that a deer? My heart might have just stopped.
15. I just got past by a little girl… I just… whatever.
16. Sir if you could not mean mug me while walking your little dog that would be great.
17. OMG is someone frying donuts?
Thirteen miles and finally home.
18. Stairs are hard.